Saturday, March 7, 2009

Sisterly Love

My twin sister Kristin lives far away from me, so getting the chance to eat together is a special treat. I recently spent a week with her in Ottawa that was filled with excellent foodie experiences. Since I’ve come to know the city quite well over the years, and thus have many “must-visit” restaurants, we eat out very frequently during my visit; however, since we both share a passion for cooking, we also took the time to have a proper home cooked meal in her cosy apartment. We didn’t need to think twice about what would be on the menu; it was simply understood that we would be eating fettuccine alfredo.

This fettuccine alfredo that we cook for each other is a specific recipe that we continue to perfect each time we make it. One day while Kristin was visiting, I was surfing the Internet for an impressive pasta recipe that I could prepare for her. I stumbled upon Giada De Laurentiis’ recipe for fettuccine alfredo, and since we used to watch her Food Network show, Everyday Italian, together, I decided to give her version a go. We both enjoyed it so much, that preparing it has become a sisterly tradition.

Before I found this recipe, I had no idea that making fettuccine alfredo was so simple. When I first tried it, I couldn’t believe that something so decadent had been made in my own kitchen. Given that this classic dish is so rich and delicious, I always assumed that it would be complicated to make from scratch. Not so! It’s so easy, that there’s no excuse not to try making it yourself. How could anything go wrong when you’re simply combining heavy cream, butter, and cheese? It certainly tastes right.

The memories I associate with certain dishes contribute greatly to how much I enjoy them. I love this recipe for fettuccine alfredo, because it tastes good, is easy to make, and, most importantly, it symbolizes quality time spent with my dear sister. Make this meal for someone who means a lot to you; it won't disappoint.


The Recipe

Giada De Laurentiis’ Fettuccine Alfredo

Amanda’s notes: I use one box of dried, whole-wheat pasta (cooking to al dente according to package directions).

Kristin and I like to add sauteed onions and mushrooms to our sauce. Experiment!

The recipe as written produces a very lemony-tasting alfredo. I would suggest starting with the juice of half of a lemon and working up from there if needed. Just taste and adjust to your liking.

I use salted butter and freshly ground black pepper with excellent results.


Ingredients
18 ounces fresh fettuccine
2 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
12 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cups grated Parmesan
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
Salt and freshly ground white pepper

Directions
Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes. Drain.
Stir 2 cups of the cream and the lemon juice in a heavy large skillet to blend. Add the butter and cook over medium heat just until the butter melts, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat.
Add the pasta and toss. Add the remaining 1/2-cup of cream, and Parmesan to the cream sauce in the skillet. Add the lemon zest, nutmeg, salt, and white pepper. Toss the pasta mixture over low heat until the sauce thickens slightly, about 1 minute.

Fettucine Alfredo on Foodista

5 comments:

  1. I love this pasta! And I love you!

    Xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was delicious...especially with that tasty garlic bread I made to go along with it. :) I kid. The pasta was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you too Kris!

    Oh no, Kev! I made a mental note to mention the salad and delicious bread, but forgot! Haha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make this dish sound so good, I'll have to try it. If I have any questions I know who to ask...:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Jamie-Lynn! Do try it, it's fantastic. :)

    ReplyDelete